Friday, October 12, 2012

Let's Get Started

I want to start things off by explaining a bit about the purpose of this blog... so here it goes...

Ever since I was a little girl I have been both an intellectual, a curious spirit with a hunger to know things and understand everything I could about the world, and a person of deep spirituality. Therefore the subjects of history, philosophy, and theology, as well as the biological sciences have always been of deep facination for me. But the more I learned, and in particular the more people I saw and interacted with, I noticed a disturbing trend.

Although in general humans seek the same thing, that is a connection with the trancendant reality which exists beyond merely the physical, the landscape of ideas and schools of thought which stive to understand and give people access to that trancendance is one frought with ignorance, strife, confusion, fear and hatred.

My own spiritual background is characterized most of all by openness. I was raised in an essentially non-practicing Methodist household but always permitted and even encouraged to explore other spiritual ideas. Even though my parents are creationist christians, they never tried to stifle my interest in science. I was raised largely on a duality of the biblical cartoon series "Greatest Stories Ever Told" and "Veggie Tales" AND "Bill Nye the Science Guy", "Magic School Bus" as well as programming on the History, Discovery, and National Geographic Channels.

I will go into what prompted me to leave Methodist Protestantism at a later date but I now Identify as an Orthodox Christian who also draws wisdom from Buddhism, Daoism and Islam. My hope for this blog is to explain exactly what that means, how that effects my attitudes about society and social/political matters, and hopefully strike down the hatred, hurried judgements, and ignorance I see so often both on the internet and society at large

No comments:

Post a Comment