Sunday, October 14, 2012

Modesty and Headscarves, Oppression or Empowerment?

 As is hopefully made clear by my choice of profile icon, I am a Christian woman who wears a headscarf. This is very rare in the United States and the headscarf in general whether worn by Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Baha’i, or Hindus often carries with it negative connotations in the western world. So I want to address a few of those.

I have found that most of the opposition to it stems from misconceptions rooted largely in ignorance and Islamophobia.

Misconception #1: “It’s a “Muslim Thing””

Answer: Actually it’s a cultural thing common to the Middle East as well as parts of Asia and Eastern Europe since way before Islam even came about. Devout Jewish women still often adopt the headscarf either starting on their wedding day or when they reach marrying age. The Blessed Virgin Mary is ALWAYS represented wearing a veil of some sort. Hindu, Sikh, and Baha’i women, wear them as well. So no, it’s not an exclusively “Muslim thing”.

Misconception #2: “It’s Oppressive to Women”

I would agree that it can be, if it’s forced. But the cultures and religions that encourage it have a different mindset about modesty in general than the modern, western, secular society. They see it as the protection and empowerment of women, because when our bodies are covered in fabric it is our minds and personalities that are left to be noticed. Physical beauty isn’t seen as a bad thing in these cultures, but rather a prize that is to be protected instead of flaunted.

Personally I would rather be celebrated for my intellect and kind heart than for my body and I firmly believe that ANYONE who comes to that same conclusion should be able to take that stance as far as she sees fit.

Let’s face it ladies, any potential dating material who would rather stare at our breasts than meet our eyes and engage us as equals in intelligent conversation isn’t worth our time. To me that’s what’s oppressive and patronizing; that we live in a society that tells young men that that’s ok and tells us that such treatment is par for the course and even to be desired.

Misconception #3: “There’s nothing about it in the Bible”

One day I’ll do a whole entry on this as its own topic but I just have to facepalm when I see and hear comments made by other Christians claiming that the bible either doesn’t say something that it does or does say something that it doesn't either because it suits their point or because they’re just repeating what their pastor said and have never actually read it for themselves.

“In Like manner also, that the woman adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but which is proper for women professing godliness with good works” (1Timothy 2:9-10 NKJV)

“But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for it is one and the same as if her head were shaved.” (1Corinthians 11:5 NKJV)

That’s about as clear as it gets don’t you think?

In the Orthodox Church modesty is required within church doors, generally that amounts to nothing low cut or sleeveless and no shorts or short skirts shorter than knee length. Dresses are not required for women but are still quite common for Holy Liturgies.

Head coverings are encouraged out of respect for God but are not required unless there are monks or bishops present. (Deacons and priests can be married as long as they are wed prior to ordination but monks and bishops have taken a vow of celibacy). This is out of respect for the vow these men have taken.

Though it is common in societies that are traditionally of an Orthodox majority for women to wear a headscarf full time out of piety and respect for God and themselves, this is the path I have taken.

Misconception #4: “From the biblical standard women shouldn’t wear pants at all”

The verse those of this view are referring to is Deuteronomy 22:5 which states: “A woman shall not wear a man’s clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman’s clothing, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God.”

That did used to mean dresses only back when that was all women wore, but that’s not the case these days. In modern times I’d refrain from applying this to anything less than drag queens. In the 21st century wearing pants doesn’t make a girl a cross dresser.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know about 1 Thessalonians 5, verses 16-22?

    16 Always be joyful. 17 Pray regularly. 18 In everything give thanks, for this is what God wants from you who are united with the Messiah Yeshua.

    This is from the complete jewish bible. (I´m messianic.) I think you orthodox christians use a bible-version that says to pray without ceasing? Correct me if I´m wrong.

    I met and talked to a nun when I was 9 years old and asked if they just prayed all the time. She smiled and answered that they rather gave thanks to the creator all the time. I think both praying and giving thanks are giving glory to him and I also think that being in a state of giving glory to him is VERY important. That´s much why I choose to veil. I also veil in this manner like the first female followers did and not in some headcoveringstyle that was fashionable in a more recent cultural era. Most women who practice headcovering today seem to get stucked in a relatively modern fashion, which is understandable, because it draws less attention. Although I don´t think a larger veil gives more POSITIVE attention in todays western society, so I don´t think it´s less modest. I don´t like being mentally bound to a time and culture I was born into, but to have a freedom of faith and also of my expressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually all Christian bibles say to pray without ceasing. Yet another fantastic reason to veil given 1Corinthians 11:5

      Delete
  2. I cover almost everytime...First, some years ago, I thought it is only for sermons. But I felt I should study the very chapter again...if a woman should shave her head if she does not want to cover - she has shorn hair all the time...a woman covered her head in the days of Paul. Every believing woman did. That´s why Paul asked if it is right for a wom. not to cover...he gives an example of nature and then: he answers, that he and the churches of God knows not such a custom (what he asked: not to cover) - simple grammar. So I started. For the last 100 years - or 70 - not to cover anymore is not a godly custom. And the godly "custom" "because of the angels" has nothing to do with any earthly custom.
    There are many ways to cover even nowadays - for God and in the same time chique.

    ReplyDelete